Sunday, December 6, 2009

Trippin' in the Tiny Kingdom

That's Mountain Brook -- "The Bubble" -- for those of you who aren't local. One typically thinks of stately manors, guest houses, circular drives, debutantes . . . but there are mods there, too. Unfortunately, many are on secluded lots and therefore unobservable by yours truly. But there are some that can be seen without a Land Rover and a native guide. Just head toward Mt. Brook Jr. High and you will find them on Mountain Park, Hillsdale, Montevallo Lane, Richmar and thereabouts. Here's a sample:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here's a close-up of the detail on the shingles -- Greene & Greene go atomic!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Happy exploring!

2 comments:

  1. I am a Realtor and I love mid-century. I am going to email you pics of one of my favorite mid-century homes in the whole city. It exists in the tiny kingdom as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Gabe. I'm going to post about that Cherokee Road house, too. I went through it on a home tour a few years back and fell in love. There is another amazing one, I think on River Bend down by the Cahaba. It's a glass house on acreage. I'm dying to get photos of that one. Secluded lots make life difficult for the MCM stalker.

    ReplyDelete