Saturday, October 30, 2010

A Mid-Century Mystery -- what is this place?

Birmingham's topography and beautiful tree canopy are wonders, indeed. But for the MCM stalker, they have more in common with the Berlin Wall than one might imagine. So, with the advent of online satellite mapping, a simple girl once shut out of many architectural wonders can now get a peek through the fence, as it were. But peeking isn't knowing -- that's where I look to you all for information.

Drummond 1

So, feast your eyes upon what appears to be a swingin' spot on Drummond Lake. Where is Drummond lake, you ask? Why, it's just south of I-459, between the Grants Mill Road and Liberty Parkway exits, north of Overton Road. You never knew it was there, did you? That's why I'm here, mod babies, to keep you in the loop.

Drummond 2

And a wondrous loop it is. This double-vaulted, A-frame, Cathay-inspired place could easily host the Sterling, Cooper, Draper, Price Christmas party -- I just have to figure out how to wrangle an invite. I'm guessing, purely based on the name of the lake, that it is or was a Drummond family retreat. We should all be thankful that a chunk of mining money was put to such good architectural use. So, does anybody have the details? The rest of us are dying to know.

Drummond 3

I've found another one, too. Not far from this place. But you have to help me with this one before I post the next one. Tit for tat and all that.

(Note - if this is your personal residence and you'd rather it not be posted on this blog, just let me know and I'll take it down -- I'm not here to invade privacy, but to laud great MCM architecture).

1 comment:

  1. Nobody has the scoop on this place? Well, public records tell me it remains in the hands of a member of the Drummond family. So if anybody is friends with the Drummonds, get me an invite, OK?

    ReplyDelete